Some argued that the site should be left to decay into ruins, but officials have decided to maintain it as a testament to the city’s dark history.
by Deirdre Ryan
We have the technology in hand to preserve what is most precious to our past. Our challenge is to make this a priority.
SOURCE: New York Times
Tamara Lanier is suing Harvard University for ownership of daguerreotypes of slaves who she says are her ancestors.
"Truly, the clock is ticking. We need to meet eyewitnesses as soon as possible, before they are no longer with us."
SOURCE: Daily Beast
by Anthony Clark
The leader of the “most transparent administration in history” has been anything but transparent when it comes to plans for his presidential center.
"There has never been historic preservation off our planet. It's a really difficult subject."
SOURCE: NY Times Magazine
President Obama unveiled the plans for the Obama Presidential Center in May 2017. He said he wanted a place that “looked forward, not backward, and would provide a place to train future leaders.”
The U.S. Army has conceded a significant loss of records documenting battlefield action and other operations in Iraq and Afghanistan and has launched a global search to recover and consolidate field records from the wars.In an order to all commands and a separate letter to leaders of the House Committee on Veterans’ Affairs, Secretary of the Army John McHugh said the service also is taking immediate steps to clarify responsibility for wartime recordkeeping....
- Frantz Fanon and the CIA Man
- What Orwell’s ‘1984’ tells us about today’s world, 70 years after it was published
- ‘Not above the law’: Executive privilege’s contentious history from Washington to Trump
- Civil War-era flag of black regiment to be auctioned; historian says it is last of its kind
- Why No One Can Agree on What George Washington Thought About the Relationship Between Church and State
- Researchers Uncover Ancient Grape DNA That Tells the Prolific History of Wine
- Three Recent Books Examine Frederick Douglass' Legacy
- Biographer Jon Meacham, Tim McGraw explore American history in song
- The 'Counter-Textbooks' Offering Kids a Radical Look at History
- Georgia history professor’s immigration comments cause stir on social media