For 2022, the Democrats Don't Have an Alternative to Embracing Left Populist Energy
by Wallace Hettle
The political field is tilted against the Democrats for the midterms and 2024; will the party embrace the energy of progressives and mobilize its voters the way that conservatives are successfully doing on the other side?
A Historical Look At Whether A Democrat Can Win By Playing To The Progressive Base Featuring Michael Kazin
Featuring historian Michaael Kazin.
2 historians say the Dems are making a mistake trying to turn the suburbs blue
by Lily Geismer and Matthew D. Lassiter
In an op-ed in the NYT Lily Geismer and Matthew Lassiter argue that the compromises needed to win over the suburbs are undermining the progressive agenda.
SOURCE: New Republic
Is Sean Wilentz right that liberals believe in capitalism and progressives don’t?
by Win McCormack
Some doubt the distinction he made in a recent essay that drew wide attention.
SOURCE: The Conversation
A century ago, progressives were the ones shouting ‘fake news’
by Matthew Jordan
As a rhetorical strategy for eroding trust in the media, the term dates back to the end of the 19th century.
The Missing Piece in the Democrats’ Plan to Victory
by Ed Simon
They’ve mostly ignored religion (and the role of liberal believers in past triumphs).
Liberals: Stop Making Excuses for Obama
by Mary L. Dudziak
Credit: Obama for America.Cross-posted from Balkanization.Sandy Levinson took Maureen Dowd to task for her column last week, “No Bully in the Pulpit,” which criticized President Obama for failing to pull the votes together to get the gun control bill through the Senate. “Now it's Maureen Dowd who can't connect the dots,” he said.
- How Tina Turner Escaped Abuse and Reclaimed her Name
- The Biden Administration Wants to Undo the Damage of Urban Highways. It Won't be Simple
- AAUP: Fight Tooth and Nail Against Florida's Higher Ed Agenda Because Your State is Next
- Texas GOP's Ten Commandments School Bill Fails
- Former Alabama Governors: We Regret Overseeing Executions
- Jeff Sharlet on the Intersectional Erotics of Fascism
- Scholars Stage Teach-in on Racism in DeSantis's Back Yard
- Paul Watanabe, Historian and Manzanar Survivor, Makes Sure History Isn't Forgotten
- Massachusetts-Based Historians: Book Bans in Florida Affect Us, Too
- Deborah Lipstadt's Work Abroad as Antisemitism Envoy Complicated by Definitional Dispute