John F. Kennedy
Originally published 02/16/2015
We are not a Christian nation: Ronald Reagan, John F. Kennedy and the eternal lie of the “city upon a hill”
John Winthrop's "city upon a hill" dominates presidential rhetoric and our self-understanding. Here's the problem
Originally published 09/12/2014
Evaluating a president’s place in history, even with the benefit of hindsight, is seldom easy.
Originally published 11/18/2013
Kenneth M. Koyle and Jeffrey S. Reznick
Little known fact: the NLM owes its existence to JFK.
Originally published 10/02/2013
John T. Shaw
JFK's presidential run in 1960 could be a blueprint for a score of Democrats in 2016.
Originally published 06/09/2013
WASHINGTON — These days it is hard to imagine a single presidential speech changing history.But two speeches, given back to back by President John F. Kennedy 50 years ago this week, are now viewed as critical turning points on the transcendent issues of the last century.The speeches, which came on consecutive days, took political risks. They sought to shift the nation’s thinking on the “inevitability” of war with the Soviet Union and to make urgent the “moral crisis” of civil rights. Beyond their considerable impact on American minds, these two speeches had something in common that oratory now often misses. They both led quickly and directly to important changes.
Originally published 04/18/2013
Walter G. Moss
“These  senators made their decision based on political fear and on cold calculations about the money of special interests like the National Rifle Association."--Gabby Giffords
Originally published 10/01/2017
The Trump Administration’s intention to reduce the number of U.S. diplomats in Havana will not help Americans or Cubans.
- University of South Carolina unveils statue of first black professor
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- How the Activists Who Tore Down Durham's Confederate Statue Got Away With It
- Many Trump Voters Think We Need a White History Month
- Top Ten Signs the US is the most Corrupt nation in the World (2018 Edn.)
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2018 George Washington Prize
- McMaster could leave WH after months of tension with Trump
- AHA President Mary Beth Norton says ending sexual harassment is a high priority
- Historians fear ‘censorship’ under Poland’s Holocaust law