Not Your Grandfather's Military-Industrial Complex
by Ben Freeman and William D. Hartung
Eisenhower warned of the power of the military and industry to shape America's priorities and warp society in their own interests. He had no idea of how bad it could get.
Peace is Not Our Profession
by William J. Astore
The unveiling of the newest stealth bomber underscores the fundamental insanity and cruel wastefulness of the policy of peace through nuclear deterrence, argues a historian and retired USAF lieutenant colonel.
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
History Exposes the Problem with Biden’s Defense Secretary Nominee
by Grant Golub
World War II demonstrated the need for strong civilian control over a military divided between multiple armed service branches, both to guide strategy and to ensure the ultimate authority of the President over the military. The nomination of a recently-retired Army general for Secretary of Defense departs from that tradition.
SOURCE: War on the Rocks
2020 War on the Rocks Holiday Reading List
The staff of War on the Rocks offer suggestions for reading – on defense issues and otherwise.
The World’s Major Military and Economic Powers Find Happiness Elusive
by Lawrence Wittner
Perhaps it’s time for the citizens of the “great powers” to ask themselves if they are truly benefiting from the much-vaunted military and economic strength of their nations.
The Cost of Loyalty: A Crisis of Ethics in the Military
by Timothy Bakken
Military leadership has inculcated a self-serving culture of loyalty that prevents a long-overdue reckoning with its failures.
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"