Remembrances, Race, and Role Models: The Renaming of a Middle School
by Frank P. Barajas
The new name of the Academy of Arts and Sciences, whatever it will be, should have a recognizable footnote so people can learn not only about the totality of Oxnard’s history but also its relationship with larger national currents.
SOURCE: The Politic
Two re-namings, two defaults. How and how not to use history and public memory at Yale
by Jim Sleeper
“The real work for a place at Yale is not about the name on the building. It’s about a deep and substantive commitment to being honest about power, structural systems of privilege and their perpetuation.”
SOURCE: Inside Higher Ed
Bowling Green State Removed Lillian Gish's Name from Their Theatre Over Her Role in Birth of a Nation. Why Do Some Want the Name Restored?
A who's who of film -- James Earl Jones, Helen Mirren, Martin Scorsese, among others -- want the name restored.
- Will a "No Labels" Campaign Wreck the 2024 Election? We Can't Ask Group's Secret Donors.
- Excerpts from a Civics Textbook I Assume Would be Welcome in Florida
- Confusion Over Book Bans in Florida is a Feature, Not a Bug, of New Policies
- We're Living in the World (un)Made by the Iraq War
- Florida Professor: I was Fired for Teaching about Racism
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History
- Why are Universities so Disrespectful of their Organized Workers?
- Aside from Bush and Cheney, Who's Most Responsible for Iraq?
- Leaked Emails Show Christian Nationalist Anti-Trans "Holy War"