Blogs Stone Age Brain | Rick Shenkman So You Think You Know Who the Pilgrims Were?Nov 20, 2022
So You Think You Know Who the Pilgrims Were?
The Pilgrims landing on Plymouth Rock in a re-creation that is wholly false.
This blog post was written by Rick Shenkman, the founder of George Washington University’s History News Network, and the author of Political Animals: How Our Stone-Age Brain Gets in the Way of Smart Politics (Basic Books).
Three decades or so ago I stuck my neck out and went public with the truth about the Pilgrims and the Puritans and -- yes -- Thanksgiving. The world did not stop spinning, but a lot of people expressed surprise.
In an appearance on NBC's Today show the shocked hosts quizzed me closely.
Sam Donaldson on ABC News, somewhat annoyed, asked "Who is this guy?" after I appeared on a segment on his prime time show. (Diane Sawyer, his co-host, seemed less annoyed than intrigued.)
Some years later I produced a series called Myth America for TLC (nee The Learning Channel) in which I recounted the key myths we Americans have accepted as truth about a whole range of subjects including Thanksgiving.
Kids, pull up a chair.You can now watch the Thanksgiving show right here.
I promise you won't be prosecuted by the authorities (except maybe in Florida).
Click here to watch. (The show is 30 minutes long.)
You can watch the other shows in the series I've made available so far by clicking on this Twitter thread.
comments powered by Disqus
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History