Rosey Grier: The Lineman Who Tried to Save RFK—And Voted for Trump
tags: Sirhan Sirhan,Robert Kennedy,Rosey Grier
Rosey Grier, the lineman who wrestled the gun that killed Bobby Kennedy from Sirhan Sirhan, has spent his life wrestling stereotypes, proving that big men can cry—even do needlepoint—while black men can vote for Ronald Reagan and Donald Trump.
One of the last names Robert F. Kennedy uttered fifty years ago was Rosey Grier’s. In his California primary victory speech moments before he was shot in June 1968, Kennedy said: “And to Rosey Grier, who said that he'd take care of anybody who didn't vote for me. In a kind way because that's what we are. Smile pretty.”
Indeed, this six-foot-five, 300-pound defensive tackle has charmed Americans with his grin and light touch for decades. But that night darkened suddenly, when Sirhan Sirhan started shooting while shouting “Kennedy, you son of a bitch.” Sirhan, a Palestinian with Jordanian citizenship, resented Kennedy’s support of Israel. Although it wasn’t reported that way in 1968, Kennedy’s assassination was one of the first Islamic extremist terrorist attacks against an American—and in America...
comments powered by Disqus
- How to Make Jim Jordan Talk about January 6? Ask Jefferson Davis
- The Void That Critical Race Theory Was Created to Fill
- 95% of Capitol Sculptures Depict Men. Will That Change Soon?
- Southern Children Need to Hear the Truth about History
- Is a Group of New Deal Descendants Influencing the Biden Administration?