Samuel Untermyer: The Superlawyer Who Took on Hitlertags: Hitler, Samuel Untermyer, lawyer
Samuel Untermyer, a hard-nosed lawyer, an eagle-eyed investor, a big-hearted civic leader, and a green-thumbed horticulturalist, was torn when America fought Germany in World War I—only to be among the first Americans to turn on Hitler’s Germany, long before America entered World War II.
In truth, Untermyer’s nostalgia for his ancestral homeland in 1917 was far more characteristic than his fiery advocacy 16 years later. Born to German Jewish immigrants turned Confederate supporters in 1858, Untermyer described himself “as one of German parentage, whose ancestors were for centuries imbedded in the soil of that land,” and someone with the “strongest feeling of sympathy toward the German people.”
Indeed, Untermyer grew up in the clubby confines of the German immigrant elite. His law firm was a partnership of German-American relatives. He even married a non-Jewish German woman Minnie Carl. But within weeks of Adolf Hitler’s coming to power in January, 1933, when most German Jews were deciding to stay in Nazi Germany—and most Americans were trying to appease it—Untermyer understood what was happening...
comments powered by Disqus
- Conservatives are pressing Trump to demand North Korea return the USS Pueblo
- Scholars say it’s time to rethink the way the Holocaust is taught
- Prison records from 1800s Georgia show mass incarceration’s racially charged beginnings
- It’s the 50th anniversary of the day Trump left college and (briefly) faced the draft
- Hitler Did Not Escape to the Moon or Argentina, He’s Still Dead, Study Concludes
- Chapel Hill’s Jay M. Smith says school administrators are scared of academic freedom
- Yuval Noah Harari: Brexit will not halt drive to 'human unification'
- When did the Census begin to ask about citizenship?
- As historians and New York City educators, here’s what we hope teachers hear in New York City's new anti-bias training
- Historian's new book backs Taika Waititi's claims New Zealand is 'racist as f**k’