2016 In Context: Donald Trump's Best - And Worst - Moments in Public Servicetags: presidency, elections, Voting, Clinton, Trump
Gil Troy, professor of history at McGill University, is the author of The Age of Clinton: America in the 1990s, published by St. Martin’s Press. His next book will update Arthur Hertzberg’s The Zionist Idea. Follow on Twitter @GilTroy.
Click HERE for more installments of 2016 In Context: Gil Troy's commentary on the closing days of the election.
Three weeks from today, Americans finally will have a chance to vote for president of the United States -- hundreds of other offices on ballots across the country. As a presidential historian who has written histories of presidential campaigning, of various presidents, of First Ladies, including Hillary Clinton when she was in that symbolic role, and, most recently, of the Clintons and the 1990s in The Age of Clinton: America in the 1990s, every day until Election Day I will post an article putting this election in historical context, trying to explain this wild and wacky race using history as our guide. So here it goes, with hashtag #2016incontext
Having looked back at the 1990s, listing the ten best and ten worst Clinton moments in public service, let's look at Hillary Clinton's rival, Donald Trump through a similar lens.
TRUMP'S BEST MOMENTS IN PUBLIC SERVICE
1. In 1986, after
years of delays and cost overruns, Donald Trump stepped in and promised to rebuild Wollman skating rink in Central Park.
Trump embarrassed city officials and New York's sclerotic bureaucracy by
coming in under budget and
in less time than expected.
Yes, nothing else! He has no real resume in public service, never having run for office before.
TRUMP'S WORST MOMENTS IN PUBLIC SERVICE
1. In 2015 and
2016, facing an electorate that is far more diverse than the one he was born into,
Donald Trump nevertheless makes a series of statements that offended various
groups, fueling a nasty, divisive presidential campaign.
10. You get the point.... (note the one advantage here -- no experience in public service, no harm done til now!)
comments powered by Disqus
- Pulling Back the Curtain on Industrial Toxins
- Did Abraham Lincoln sleep here?
- University of South Carolina unveils statue of first black professor
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- The next president of the OAH will be ... Yale's Joanne Meyerowitz
- Top Ten Signs the US is the most Corrupt nation in the World (2018 Edn.)
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2018 George Washington Prize
- McMaster could leave WH after months of tension with Trump
- AHA President Mary Beth Norton says ending sexual harassment is a high priority