Sen. Ron Johnson Blocks Lipstadt Nomination to Global Antisemitism PanelBreaking News
tags: Senate, antisemitism, Deborah Lipstadt
Republican Sen. Ron Johnson on Tuesday blocked a vote on the nomination of Deborah E. Lipstadt as the Biden administration’s antisemitism envoy. Instead Johnson met with a group of truckers in Washington, D.C., in protest of the COVID-19 mandates and to support those imprisoned for participating in the Jan. 6 assault on the Capitol.
Jewish groups expressed outrage at the holdup, with Anti-Defamation League CEO Jonathan Greenblatt calling Johnson’s behavior “disgraceful.”
During the hearing Johnson accused Lipstadt, one of the foremost historians of the Holocaust, of engaging in the “malicious poison” of hatred for a tweet in which she accused him of engaging in white supremacy for his comments about the Jan. 6 riot. While Lipstadt expressed regret for the tweet, saying it was not meant as a personal or political attack, the Republican senator from Wisconsin indicated he would try to foil her nomination.
comments powered by Disqus
- Review: Gerald Horne on the Long and Continuous American Counter-Revolution
- The Fall of the American Fraudster?
- Texas Prof Wins John Lewis Award for Work Recovering History of Anti-Mexican Border Violence
- The Racist History of Family Separation, and the Lawyers Challenging It
- Behind America's Relationship to Exercise