Media Should Call GOP Election Fight An Attempted Coup, Historian SaysHistorians in the News
tags: Donald Trump, 2020 Election, Josh Hawley, Tim Snyder
The Republican effort to contest the presidential election results on the Senate floor this week is raising questions about how media outlets should cover the moment, and whether the Trump-supported action should be called an attempted "coup."
"Should TV networks show the proceedings live when the GOP objectors are boldly lying?" asked CNN Chief Media Correspondent Brian Stelter. Should they call it a "coup?"
"I've been using that word for months now," historian and author Timothy Snyder told Stelter on "Reliable Sources" Sunday.
"Because he announced in advance, it numbed us all and then we're scared to use the word," Snyder added.
comments powered by Disqus
- Indentured Students: Elizabeth Tandy Shermer on Student Debt (Monday, October 4)
- The Last Good Neighbor: Mexico in the Global Sixties (Washington History Seminar, Mon. 9/27)
- Stoic Wisdom: Ancient Lessons for Modern Resilience (Thursday, 9/23)
- Traveling Black: Mia Bay Joins the Washington History Seminar, September 20
- Why are Historians Facing Online Abuse Over Whether Atlantis Existed?