November 30, 2019
Trump beats out Lincoln as better president, majority of Republicans say in new pollBreaking News
tags: Lincoln, Trump, polling
President Trump was rated above Abraham Lincoln by a majority of Republicans surveyed in a recent poll conducted by The Economist and YouGov.
Conducted between Sunday and Tuesday this week, the survey asked a random sample of 1,500 adults several questions about Mr. Trump as part of a weekly tracking poll.
Among the questions asked of respondents was to consider both Mr. Trump and Lincoln and answer, “Which Republican president was better?”
Three-quarters of all people surveyed picked Lincoln as the better president, but most Republicans answered otherwise: Among respondents identified as Republicans, 53% chose Mr. Trump as the better president and 47% named Lincoln.
Elsewhere in the latest survey respondents were given the names of several Republican presidents and asked to rank them on a scale of one to eight, with one being “best” and eight being “worst.” Nearly one-third of Republicans surveyed – 32% – ranked Mr. Trump as the best, compared to 29% who picked Lincoln and 27% who chose former president Ronald Reagan.
Asked to decide which president was better, Trump or Reagan, 41% of Republicans surveyed picked the current officeholder. The majority – 59% – answered Reagan.
Mr. Trump has previously compared himself to both Lincoln and Reagan while boasting about his support among fellow Republicans.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Real Reason the American Economy Boomed After World War II
- Florence Revives Medieval Plague-Era ‘Wine Windows’ for Contactless Service
- Tulane Canceled a Talk by the Author of an Acclaimed Anti-Racism Book After Students Said the Event Was 'Violent'
- Sunday Reading: Hiroshima
- More Than a Century Before the 19th Amendment, Women were Voting in New Jersey
- Black Americans Who Served in WWII Faced Segregation and Second-Class Roles
- Lincoln Library Cancels Exhibition Over Racial Sensitivity Concerns
- Nixon Did Call the Military on Protesters. He Just Covered It Up.
- Historians Pay Tribute: ‘Today We Live In John Hume’s Ireland, And Thank God For That’
- Let Us Drink in Public