They Resisted Hitler. They Were Executed. At Last, They Lie at Rest.Breaking News
tags: Holocaust, Hitler, World War 2
The microscopic remains of dozens of prisoners, most of them women, who were executed for resisting Adolf Hitler and whose bodies were used for research by Nazi doctors, were buried in a simple wooden box at a Berlin cemetery on Monday.
A plaque that tells of the victims’ fate will be placed over the grave, in Dorotheenstadt cemetery, where other victims of the Nazis are also buried. The cemetery is several blocks behind the Charité, Berlin’s main research hospital.
The fragments of the prisoners’ remains were given to the hospital two years ago by the descendants of Hermann Stieve, a doctor who made a deal with the Nazis to obtain the remains of the prisoners for research. They had been killed at the Plötzensee prison, which is in western Berlin.
The fragments were contained on 300 glass microscope slides, each only a hundredth of a millimeter thick and roughly a square inch in size.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of