Anti-Semitism Is on the Rise, Germany's Leader Warns on Holocaust Remembrance DayBreaking News
tags: Germany, Angela Merkel, antisemitism, Holocaust Remembrance Day
German Chancellor Angela Merkel issued a warning about what she called a “shameful” and rising level of anti-Semitic intolerance, German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle reported.
Speaking on the official government podcast, Merkel stressed the importance of highlighting intolerance because of a recent rise in anti-Jewish and other hate crimes. Her remarks came on International Holocaust Remembrance Day, marking the 73rd anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, the most infamous Nazi concentration camp.
"Anti-Semitism, racism and the hatred of others" are rising, Merkel said, adding that she planned to introduce a government commissioner role to deal specifically with anti-Semitic issues.
comments powered by Disqus
- University of South Carolina unveils statue of first black professor
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- How the Activists Who Tore Down Durham's Confederate Statue Got Away With It
- Many Trump Voters Think We Need a White History Month
- Top Ten Signs the US is the most Corrupt nation in the World (2018 Edn.)
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2018 George Washington Prize
- McMaster could leave WH after months of tension with Trump
- AHA President Mary Beth Norton says ending sexual harassment is a high priority
- Historians fear ‘censorship’ under Poland’s Holocaust law