Anti-Semitism Is on the Rise, Germany's Leader Warns on Holocaust Remembrance DayBreaking News
tags: Germany, Angela Merkel, antisemitism, Holocaust Remembrance Day
German Chancellor Angela Merkel issued a warning about what she called a “shameful” and rising level of anti-Semitic intolerance, German public broadcaster Deutsche Welle reported.
Speaking on the official government podcast, Merkel stressed the importance of highlighting intolerance because of a recent rise in anti-Jewish and other hate crimes. Her remarks came on International Holocaust Remembrance Day, marking the 73rd anniversary of the liberation of Auschwitz, the most infamous Nazi concentration camp.
"Anti-Semitism, racism and the hatred of others" are rising, Merkel said, adding that she planned to introduce a government commissioner role to deal specifically with anti-Semitic issues.
comments powered by Disqus
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency