Russia-gate’s Shaky FoundationRoundup
tags: Russia, Trump
Anyone who watches the news knows that Russian hackers gave Democratic National Committee documents to WikiLeaks and hacked voter databases in 21 states. Prominent Democrats call these shenanigans “a political Pearl Harbor.”
On the blog Daily Kos, one contributor cries “we were robbed!” (arguing that somehow Russian meddling gave Trump a victory in North Carolina, where his margin was 180,000, and where no evidence whatsoever indicates a successful hack of voter databases).
In a new video propamentary, er, docuganda, or something like that, Morgan Freeman declares “we have been attacked. We are at war. This is no movie script.”
Before we hop on the Morgan Freeman train, we might want to consider some history. In 1898, the American press — taking the word of naval investigators — reported that a Spanish mine had destroyed the battleship, U.S.S. Maine. Leading newspapers promptly called for war, and the U.S. government obliged.
Finally, the U.S. became an imperial power with the acquisition of Cuba and the Philippines and a few other odds and ends, at the bargain cost of 2,500 American soldiers dead, plus another 4,000 lost in the Filipino rebellion that followed, not to mention the lives of tens of thousands of Filipino opposition fighters. Only later did it come to light that the Maine was destroyed by a boiler explosion. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Alabama-based League of the South launches Russian-language page to promote 'Southern nationalism'
- Young Jews Are Rebelling on Israeli Heritage Trips
- City Releases Trove of Documents in Central Park Jogger Case
- Kavanaugh: Watergate tapes decision may have been wrong
- Facebook Puts Holocaust Denial Groups in Top Search Results
- Historian Rick Shenkman on Donald Trump: “All the worst things in American history piled together”
- Patty Limerick criticizes History Colorado for 'history lite' exhibits
- Scholar says Leviticus 1.0 didn’t demonize same-sex relationships
- Martha Jones sets the record straight about birthright citizenship
- Max Boot: This conservative would take Obama back in a nanosecond