Britain, Breaking Up With E.U., Looks to an Expert: Henry VIIIBreaking News
tags: Henry VIII, Brexit
When Henry VIII’s marital troubles got out of hand in the 16th century, they prompted a schism with the pope and Britain’s big break with the theological leadership of Continental Europe.
Now the Tudor monarch is influencing Britain’s modern-day divorce from the Continent, with powers that were first used by the king set to be deployed to help unpack four decades of European Union membership.
Among the many complications created by Britain’s decision to quit the European Union, known as “Brexit,” is the need to unscramble British and European laws, which have become intertwined.
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Trowbridge’s Clio app featured as a top humanities project in US
- Juan Cole says Israel is now openly embracing apartheid and racial supremacy
- Historians accuse Croatia of covering up World War II Crimes
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama