California Goes ConfederateRoundup
tags: California, States Rights, Calexit
Since Clinton’s defeat, the state seems to have become unhinged over Trump’s unexpected election.
“Calexit” supporters brag that they will have enough signatures to qualify for a ballot measure calling for California’s secession from the United States.
Some California officials have talked of the state not remitting its legally obligated tax dollars to the federal government. They talk of expanding its sanctuary cities into an entire sanctuary state that would nullify federal immigration law.
Californians also now talk about the value of the old Confederate idea of “states’ rights.” They whine that their state gives far too much revenue to Washington and gets too little back.
Residents boast about how their cool culture has little in common with the rest of the U.S. Some Californians claim the state could easily go it alone, divorced from the United States.
Sound a bit familiar? ...
comments powered by Disqus
- You Can’t Be the ‘President of Law and Order’ if You Thrive on Chaos
- Law Professor Criticized After Reading Racial Slur In Class
- Chicago 1968: Blood Outside the Arena (Reprinted from 8/28/1968)
- Abraham Lincoln and the Shavuot Controversy of 1865
- This Montana Farm Boy Became a Scientific Legend, Developing Vaccines to Protect Kids Worldwide
- Q&A: Historian Andrew Kahrl On The Segregation History Of Lincoln Beach And Plans To Reopen It
- Rutger Bregman on His Intellectual Journey and the Problems of the Speaking Circuit
- National Protests over George Floyd's Death was 'Conflagration Waiting to Happen'
- George Floyd’s Death and the Long History of Racism in Minneapolis
- Historian on White House Response to COVID: "Clearly, They Have Not Told the Truth"