Leading Jewish Scholar Prosecuted in France for Alleged anti-Muslim RemarksHistorians in the News
tags: France, Muslims, Georges Bensoussan
One of the world’s leading historians on the Jewish communities in Arab countries is being prosecuted in France for alleged hate speech against Muslims.
The Morocco-born French-Jewish scholar Georges Bensoussan, 64, is due to appear next month before a Paris criminal court over a complaint filed against him for incitement to racial hatred by the Collective Against Islamophobia in France, the group recently announced on its website.
The complaint, which leading French scholars dismissed as attempt at “intimidation” in a statement Friday, was over remarks about anti-Semitism by Muslims that Bensoussan, author of a definitive 2012 work entitled “Jews in Arab Lands,” made last year during an interview aired by the France Culture radio station, the Collective said.
The Collective based its complaint on two remarks by Bensoussan.
“Today, we are witnessing a different people in the midst of the French nation, who are effecting a return on a certain number of democratic values to which we adhere,” read the first quote flagged.
The second quote cited read: “This visceral anti-Semitism proven by the Fondapol survey by Dominique Reynié last year cannot remain under a cover of silence.” Conducted in 2014 among 1,580 French respondents, of whom one third were Muslim, the survey found that they were two times and even three times more anti-Jewish than French people as a whole. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- Is the Academy's New Museum Neglecting the Jewish Creators of Hollywood?
- Macron Commemorates 1961 Killing of Algerian Protesters by Paris Police
- Jefferson Statue to be Removed from NY City Council Chambers
- Mary McLeod Bethune Statue is Coming to the Capitol
- A Century-Long "Reign of Error" for SCOTUS Typo
- Must We Unite Around Slaveholders? Woody Holton and Jamelle Bouie on Historical Memory
- Lecture: H.W. Brands on The First Civil War – Loyalists and Patriots in the American Revolution (11/23)
- AHA Announces 2021 Prize Winners
- Phil Collins Sets Off a New Battle Over the Alamo
- "This Obstinate Little Man": Tom Segev on Ben-Gurion as the King Lear of Zionism