Virginia prep school in hot water after students post a video of themselves in blackfaceBreaking News
tags: racism, Blackface
Related Link ‘Shuffle Along’ and the Painful History of Black Performance in America (NYT)
A viral video showing a local student in blackface has people divided, with not everyone understanding why some call the video offensive.
The video was part of a class project for a government class at Isle of Wight Academy.
The school has said they do not condone the video and disciplined the students after it was presented, but some weighing in on Facebook have asked, "what's the big deal?" and said the students were just "trying to be historically accurate."
comments powered by Disqus
- ‘If You Want to Experience Liberation, Black Women Must Be at the Table’
- A Century After a Race Massacre, Tulsa Finally Digs for Suspected Mass Graves
- Historians Will Likely Rank Trump as One of the Worst Presidents
- Black Lives Matter Movement Prods Bethlehem and Other Districts to Review How History is Taught
- During the Civil War, the Enslaved Were Given an Especially Odious Job. The Pay Went to Their Owners.
- Is Evangelical Support for Trump a Contradiction?
- Survival Of The Kindest: Can Our Better Nature Help Us Build A Better World?
- As Monuments Tumble, Are We ‘Erasing’ History? Historians Say No
- Historical Association Schools Teachers on White House History
- MIT Professor Tunney Lee, an Architect, Urban Planner, and Historian of Chinatown, Dies at 88