Virginia prep school in hot water after students post a video of themselves in blackfaceBreaking News
tags: racism, Blackface
Related Link ‘Shuffle Along’ and the Painful History of Black Performance in America (NYT)
A viral video showing a local student in blackface has people divided, with not everyone understanding why some call the video offensive.
The video was part of a class project for a government class at Isle of Wight Academy.
The school has said they do not condone the video and disciplined the students after it was presented, but some weighing in on Facebook have asked, "what's the big deal?" and said the students were just "trying to be historically accurate."
comments powered by Disqus
- At Summit Meetings, Kremlin Often Tried to Steamroller U.S. Presidents
- How A Tariff Loving Utah Senator Became A Cautionary Tale About Protectionism
- Pompeii excavation project reveals secrets
- In Ireland, Drought and a Drone Revealed the Outline of an Ancient Henge
- Sarcophagus Found. Contents Unknown. (‘No Guessing, Please.’)
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency
- Ridley Scott to Adapt Israeli Author's "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" Into a Movie
- Partisans assail historians for judging the past by today’s standards. Here’s why they’re wrong, says classicist