Trump supporter's lies about the KKK are standard GOP talking pointsRoundup
tags: election 2016, GOP, KKK, Trump
Let’s talk about the past, and let’s talk about the present. Let’s talk about racist terrorism, the Ku Klux Klan, and segregation. Let’s talk about progressives and right wingers, and the Democratic and Republican parties. Finally, let’s do it truthfully. Okay?
Speaking of truth, we didn’t get a whole lot of it from Donald Trump supporter Jeffrey Lord during his exchange with fellow CNN contributor Van Jones earlier this week. They began by discussing Trump and his failure to immediately denounce former KKK grand wizard and longtime white supremacist David Duke. Let’s focus here, however, on Lord’s completely false presentation of the history of the KKK.
JONES: The Klan is a terrorist organization that has killed --
LORD: A leftist terrorist organization.
[snip] JONES: What difference does it make if you call them leftists? They kill people. They don't play games with that.
LORD: You're right. You don't hide and say that's not part of the base of the Democratic Party. That has been -- they were the military arm, the terrorist arm of the Democratic Party, according to historians. For God sakes, read your history.
[snip] JONES: The Klan kill people by race….
LORD: And they did it -- they did it to further the progressive agenda. Hello?
JONES: That is, first of all, so absurd.
LORD: It is not absurd.
JONES: The Democratic Party of the south of the old days was a racist party. And you are correct, sir. They were a violent party. You were correct, sir.
LORD: How do you think we got Woodrow Wilson elected?
JONES: Hold on a second. That's not the Democratic Party of today. So, what are you talking about that for? You play these games --
LORD: It is the Democratic Party of today. The Democratic Party of today divides by race.
There’s a lot to unpack here. First, we’re to going to explore—by taking a serious, sober look at history—what an absolute load of crap Lord’s claims are. Second, and more importantly, we’re going to look at how those claims are not simply the ravings of a Trumpeter—someone whom the GOP establishment rejects. Those claims, in fact, reflect standard Republican talking points. ...
comments powered by Disqus
- University of South Carolina unveils statue of first black professor
- Inside Billy Graham's Powerful Relationship With U.S. Presidents
- Children have changed America before, braving fire hoses and police dogs for civil rights
- How the Activists Who Tore Down Durham's Confederate Statue Got Away With It
- Many Trump Voters Think We Need a White History Month
- Top Ten Signs the US is the most Corrupt nation in the World (2018 Edn.)
- Seven Books Named as Finalists for the 2018 George Washington Prize
- McMaster could leave WH after months of tension with Trump
- AHA President Mary Beth Norton says ending sexual harassment is a high priority
- Historians fear ‘censorship’ under Poland’s Holocaust law