Historians take issue with Apple's Civil War games banBreaking News
tags: Confederate flag
Civil War historians were flummoxed by Apple's removal of Civil War games from its App Store that included images of the Confederate flag. The controversial symbol is key to depicting history, they said.
“It seems to me that pulling Civil War games might be an extreme response to the flag controversy, as if the Civil War didn't exist,” said Bob Brinkmeyer, a professor of Southern studies at the University of South Carolina. “As these games remind us, the South lost.”
Apple's decision on Thursday came soon after major retailers and e-commerce sites, from Wal-Mart to Amazon to EBay, banned sales of Confederate flags and products with Confederate images on them.
comments powered by Disqus
- The NFL Told Teams to Stand During the National Anthem in the 1960s
- When the CIA Infiltrated a Presidential Campaign
- How the Mueller Investigation Could Play Out for Trump
- Steve Bannon: Martin Luther King Would Be Proud of Donald Trump
- Conservatives are pressing Trump to demand North Korea return the USS Pueblo
- Heather Cox Richardson says the crisis of the Trump administration has begun
- Historian: Native Americans deserve to be remembered as Southerners, too
- We’re whitewashing the history of our founding, says Leslie Harris
- Historians Debate Which President Leonardo DiCaprio Should Play
- Chapel Hill’s Jay M. Smith says school administrators are scared of academic freedom