Replica of General Lafayette's 'Hermione' arrives in VirginiaBreaking News
tags: Virginia, Hermione, General Lafayette
Fireworks lit up a gray sky in Yorktown -- where American forces led by General George Washington and French soldiers scored a decisive victory over the British in 1781, prompting their capitulation -- to mark the Hermione's arrival.
The three-masted tall ship -- constructed using only 18th century shipbuilding techniques -- fired 21 cannon rounds to announce its arrival at 8:21 am (1221 GMT). A 21-gun salute echoed out from the shore in reply.
Several hundred people braved a persistent drizzle to come cheer the stately ship -- a symbol of Franco-American friendship. Onlookers waved flags while fife and drum corps played and people walked about in period attire.
comments powered by Disqus
- The Rothschilds, a pamphlet by ‘Satan’ and anti-Semitic conspiracy theories tied to a battle 200 years ago
- How Smithsonian Helped Solve the Twitter Mystery of the Unknown Woman Scientist
- It’s Disturbingly Easy to Buy Iraq’s Archeological Treasures
- Geneticist at Harvard Medical School has retrieved DNA from more than 900 ancient people.
- A load of gold worth up to $54 million went missing during the Civil War. There may be a break in the case.