Steve McQueen: New Readership for ’12 Years a Slave’ Is ‘Amazing’Breaking News
tags: slavery, 12 Years a Slave
...Though the book is regarded by historians as one of the most important records of slavery, Northup’s “Twelve Years a Slave” fell into relative obscurity, remaining in the shadow of other books such as Harriet Beecher Stowe’s 1852 novel “Uncle Tom’s Cabin,” and Frederick Douglass’s 1845 autobiography of his life born into slavery until his escape to a free state.
But today, Northup’s book is on non-fiction bestseller lists (for editions by various publishers), fueled by the feature film “12 Years a Slave” directed by Steve McQueen and starring Chiwetel Ejiofor as Northup, Michael Fassbender as plantation owner Edwin Epps and Lupita Nyong’o as fellow slave Patsey. The book is #3 on The Wall Street Journal bestseller list under Non-Fiction E-Books. As of this writing, Solomon Northup is the #5 author on Amazon’s list for top Kindle eBooks under Biographies & Memoirs, and #9 on the list for print books under the same category. There is also a new Penguin reissue of the book tied to the film, which Penguin said has been the imprint’s top seller for the past several weeks since its Sept. 1 publication, with sales increasing each week....
comments powered by Disqus
- Only One Man Was Found Guilty for His Role in the My Lai Massacre
- Indian Children’s Book Lists Hitler as Leader ‘Who Will Inspire You’
- Who Owns the Vikings?
- Documents show that U.S. officials led Russian President Boris Yeltsin to believe in 1993 that NATO wasn't expanding
- ‘I’m fascinated by Mussolini’
- Facebook’s Historian: Professor Heather Cox Richardson
- Historians at the Rochester Institute of Technology are bolstering Wikipedia’s archive of entries on women’s history
- "Multiple Steves and Pauls": A History Panel Sets Off a Diversity Firestorm
- University of Washington Dean defends the liberal arts degree on economic grounds
- David S. Wyman, author of "The Abandonment of the Jews," has died at age 89