Catherine O’Donnell: History is Useful Tool, Not Answer to Every ProblemRoundup: Historians' Take
tags: history, Catherine O'Donnell, ASU, Arizona Republic
Catherine O’Donnell is an associate history professor at Arizona State University.
I am an historian with a secret. I don’t think studying the past tells us what to do in the present.
I should qualify that: If you are considering whether to invade Russia in winter, history provides the answer.
But I object when voices from across the political spectrum claim history tells us the answer to more complex questions: what our tax policy should be, why a specific crime happened and, most disturbingly, which political views prove us to be good citizens and which reveal us to be bad ones....
comments powered by Disqus
- Historian David Trowbridge’s Clio app featured as a top humanities project in US
- Juan Cole says Israel is now openly embracing apartheid and racial supremacy
- Historians accuse Croatia of covering up World War II Crimes
- Waitman Wade Beorn: Historians can and should draw parallels between the 1930s and today
- "Never underestimate human stupidity," says historian Yuval Harari whose fans include Bill Gates and Barack Obama