Famous last words (of presidents)Breaking News
tags: presidents, last words, quizzes, Mental Floss
The good folks at Mental Floss have compiled the last words of the 38 dead presidents.
How well do you know your dying presidents? (Answers at bottom.)
2. "Thomas Jefferson survives."
3. "Send Mike immediately."
4. "I have a terrific headache."
5. "I understand the true principles of the government. I wish them carried out. I ask nothing more."
6. "Are the doctors here? Doctor, my lungs..."
7. "She won't think anything about it."
8. "'Tis well."
9. "No, you certainly can't."
10. "The nourishment is palatable."
Of course, presidential last words tend to lack the spunk of Tom Paine's, who spent his final moments berating two clergyman trying to convert him on his deathbed: "Let me have none of your popish stuff. Get away with you. Good morning."
1: Ulysses S. Grant; 2: John Adams; 3: LBJ; 4: FDR; 5: William Henry Harrison; 6: Benjamin Harrison; 7: Abraham Lincoln; 8: George Washington; 9: JFK; 10: Millard Fillmore.
comments powered by Disqus
- At Summit Meetings, Kremlin Often Tried to Steamroller U.S. Presidents
- How A Tariff Loving Utah Senator Became A Cautionary Tale About Protectionism
- Pompeii excavation project reveals secrets
- In Ireland, Drought and a Drone Revealed the Outline of an Ancient Henge
- Sarcophagus Found. Contents Unknown. (‘No Guessing, Please.’)
- Oxford professor counts 93 penises in Bayeux Tapestry
- Medieval Scholars Call for Transparency and Anti-Racism at Conference
- Robert Dallek's FDR Book Invites Comparisons To Trump's Presidency
- Ridley Scott to Adapt Israeli Author's "Sapiens: A Brief History of Humankind" Into a Movie
- Partisans assail historians for judging the past by today’s standards. Here’s why they’re wrong, says classicist