Originally published 07/08/2013
The good folks at Mental Floss have compiled the last words of the 38 dead presidents.How well do you know your dying presidents? (Answers at bottom.)1. "Water."2. "Thomas Jefferson survives."3. "Send Mike immediately."4. "I have a terrific headache."5. "I understand the true principles of the government. I wish them carried out. I ask nothing more."6. "Are the doctors here? Doctor, my lungs..." 7. "She won't think anything about it."8. "'Tis well."9. "No, you certainly can't."10. "The nourishment is palatable."Of course, presidential last words tend to lack the spunk of Tom Paine's, who spent his final moments berating two clergyman trying to convert him on his deathbed: "Let me have none of your popish stuff. Get away with you. Good morning."1: Ulysses S. Grant; 2: John Adams; 3: LBJ; 4: FDR; 5: William Henry Harrison; 6: Benjamin Harrison; 7: Abraham Lincoln; 8: George Washington; 9: JFK; 10: Millard Fillmore.
- Historians at the Rochester Institute of Technology are bolstering Wikipedia’s archive of entries on women’s history
- "Multiple Steves and Pauls": A History Panel Sets Off a Diversity Firestorm
- University of Washington Dean defends the liberal arts degree on economic grounds
- David S. Wyman, author of "The Abandonment of the Jews," has died at age 89
- Jon Meacham finds new meaning in the Age of Trump in Barbara Tuchman’s work on “The March of Folly”