Jeff McLurken -- blending history and technology in the classroomHistorians in the News
tags: digital humanities, John Fea, The Way of Improvement Leads Home, Jeff McLurken, digital historians
Anyone familiar with the small but vibrant community of digital historians knows the name Jeff McLurken. He is the chair of the History and American Studies Department at Mary Washington University in Fredericksburg, VA and an example for all historians interested in embracing the digital age.
The Mary Washington University website is running a profile of McClurken that is worth a look. Here is a taste:
His creative and tech-savvy charges have a say in everything from the syllabus to assignments and provide insight on the new and innovative courses taught by the associate professor and chair in the Department of History and American Studies.
McClurken, an expert in Civil War history and a sought-after presenter on digital learning, says the experience is just as beneficial for him as it is for the students.
“I am inspired by and driven by those interactions with students,” said McClurken.
That’s just what happened in a seminar two years ago. When students questioned the technology behind communications and how the Internet affects the way they think and learn, McClurken put them to work designing a History of the Information Age course.
Read the rest here.
comments powered by Disqus
- The story of the slave trade’s last survivor
- UFO Toy Discontinued for Teaching Kids That Nazis Could Travel in Space
- Psychologists say memorials to lynching victims help their African-American descendants
- Posters, Banners, Boarding Passes: Museums Try to Get a Head Start on History
- Rejecting AP Courses
- Daniel Pipes predicts chaos in the Middle East as countries turn away from fossil fuels
- Stanley Fish says historians are deluded in thinking their training gives them special insights in politics that should be passed on to students (and others)
- Guest historian this week: Paul Krugman, the economist!
- US Senator (and historian) Ben Sasse has denounced the policy of separating children from parents at the border
- Randall Stephens predicts most evangelicals will probably fail to come to grips with Trump’s cynical manipulations, his divisive, culture-war grandstanding, his philandering, and his lying