by Priya Satia
"Churchill was the apotheosis of the historically-minded statesman, committed to the idea of history as progress in which the role of great men was to suppress ordinary moral compunctions about destructive events that forwarded it."
by Steven Fielding, Bill Schwarz, and Richard Toye
A new book examines the ways that Winston Churchill's image has been used in British politics, not least by Churchill himself.
SOURCE: The New York Times
The British prime minister, trying to regroup in the coronavirus pandemic, wants to bury Thatcherism and embark on a program of ambitious public works.
Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before: A Study in the Politics and Aesthetics of English Misery
by Owen Hatherley
Owen Hatherley reflects on the last two UK general elections by charting the musical evolution of The Smiths.
by Jason Pack
Halloween held a ghoulish surprise for American President Donald Trump and British Prime Minister Boris Johnson. As a result of their hubris, they were both forced to watch their longstanding dreams of unbridled executive authority die in the ditch of rule of law.
SOURCE: The Guardian
by Nick Cohen
Self-interested and reckless leadership defines too much of our past – and present.
SOURCE: History Today
Featuring Ali Ansari, Miranda Malins, D.H. Robinson, and Jonathan Fitzgibbons.
SOURCE: The Conversation
by Eliga Gould
Given the similarities between the U.S. and U.K. political systems and the personal parallels – and affection – between Johnson and U.S. President Donald Trump, Americans might wonder whether the president has a similar power to suspend Congress.
by Esau Williams
Alexander Boris de Pfeffel Johnson, the boy who once said he wanted to be ‘world king,’ has finally realized his life-long ambition of becoming British Prime Minister.
SOURCE: Washington Post
by Jesse Tumblin
Instead of solving intractable problems, public referendums simply exacerbate them.
SOURCE: The Washington Post
He has compared the European Union’s aims to those of Adolf Hitler, arguing that the 28-nation bloc is creating a superstate that mirrors the attempt of the Nazi leader to dominate the European continent.
- These Portraits Revolutionized the Way Queer Women Were Seen in the 1970s
- “Decades in the Making”: How Mainstream Conservatives & Right-Wing Money Fueled the Capitol Attack
- What the FBI Had on Grandpa
- Franco: Melilla Enclave Removes Last Statue of Fascist Dictator on Spanish Soil
- Lawrence Ferlinghetti Obituary
- For Many, an Afro isn’t Just a Hairstyle
- With Free Medical Clinics and Patient Advocacy, the Black Panthers Created a Legacy in Community Health That Still Exists Amid COVID-19
- With a Touch of Wisdom: Human Rights, Memory, and Forgetting
- New Exhibit Reckons With Glendale's Racist Past as ‘Sundown Town'
- The Broken System: What Comes After Meritocracy?