Originally published 08/27/2015
John J. Cummings, III
"Here's why I opened the country's first slavery museum."
Originally published 04/09/2015
Whitney Plantation museum endowed by a wealthy Louisiana lawyer confronts painful history of American slavery
"I tell people when they say, 'Why is a white man involved in this?' I say, 'Don't you remember it was a white man that caused all this?"
Originally published 02/27/2015
It opened in Louisiana in December.
Originally published 01/19/2015
Unlike other plantation museums along the Great River Road between New Orleans and Baton Rouge, the newly opened and under-construction Whitney Plantation focuses squarely on the plight of slaves.
Originally published 10/15/2014
It will be housed in the Whitney Plantation.
- The Trump Presidency: Year One
- From presidential nominee to freshman senator? Romney would make history if he runs.
- From King George IV to President Trump, The Fat Men Who’ve Ruled The World
- Here’s How One Family Prepared for Nuclear War in 1954
- A historian is helping students register to vote
- Ibram X. Kendi’s NYT op ed drew a strong response
- Andrew Roberts says Trump might even win a second term