Originally published 08/18/2016
Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
He estimates that between 9,000 and 16,000 Indians were killed by vigilantes, state militiamen and federal soldiers between 1846 and 1873, mainly a result of the Gold Rush.
Originally published 08/12/2015
What a few weeks difference may have made.
Originally published 08/01/2014
The fascinating story of the Gold Rush and how it challenged American assumptions about life, work and glory.
- Sources: McMaster Mocked Trump’s Intelligence at a Private Dinner
- The JFK assassination files lead back to Seattle
- Princeton investigates its connection to slavery at a two-day symposium
- Rare Documents Show a Palm Reader's Take on Franklin and Eleanor Roosevelt
- A Photo of Billy the Kid Bought for $10 at a Flea Market May Be Worth Millions
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race
- Heather Ann Thompson says what went on at Attica is worse than we thought
- Princeton’s Jan T. Gross warns that Poland’s showing signs of turning decisively in a fascist direction
- Gar Alperovitz is still pushing to make America more democratic
- Robert Dallek: “The fish rots from the head”