Originally published 08/18/2016
Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
He estimates that between 9,000 and 16,000 Indians were killed by vigilantes, state militiamen and federal soldiers between 1846 and 1873, mainly a result of the Gold Rush.
Originally published 08/12/2015
What a few weeks difference may have made.
Originally published 08/01/2014
The fascinating story of the Gold Rush and how it challenged American assumptions about life, work and glory.
- 50 Years Later, It Feels Familiar: How America Fractured in 1968
- Hawaii False Alarm Hints at Thin Line Between Mishap and Nuclear War
- Ohio Teacher Put on Leave After Lynching Remark to Black Student
- One year in, Donald Trump has redefined the presidency
- In Trump’s Immigration Remarks, Echoes of a Century-Old Racial Ranking
- Sports Historian Explains Why She Wrote that the NCAA is the Modern Jim Crow
- Ibram X. Kendi says "The Heartbeat of Racism Is Denial”
- Historians Call Trump’s ‘Sh*thole’ Comment "The Most Openly Racist by a President in Decades"
- Bruce Cole, renaissance scholar who led National Endowment for the Humanities, dies at 79
- New book lays out for the first time the full story of Cuba's Cuban Missile Crisis