Originally published 06/27/2017
Somebody slapped the wrong title on Hugh Kennedy’s political history of Islam from Muhammad to the Ottomans.
Originally published 03/20/2017
The answer is surprisingly obscure, as most of their attacks do not include clear demands.
Originally published 09/07/2014
This Is What Happened to the Last Person Who Claimed the Caliphate. It Didn't End Well for Him. There’s a Lesson in that.
Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi will be no more successful in winning the support of the Muslim world than Husayn of Mecca, the last person to claim the caliph's mantle.
Originally published 08/25/2014
"Declaring the caliphate on June 29 was a major event; and the caliphate is an institution whose time has long passed and, therefore, whose revival bodes much trauma."
Originally published 07/14/2014
Gil J. stein
"We at the Oriental Institute are excited to be playing a part in this archaeological renaissance."
Originally published 07/08/2014
Ali A. Olomi
What is significant about Al-Baghdadi’s caliphate?
Originally published 07/03/2014
"The problem with this new caliphate is that it is ahistorical, to say the least."
- Steve Bannon Vows ‘War’ on His Own Party. It Didn’t Work So Well for F.D.R.
- Tom Hanks: 'If you're concerned about what's going on today, read history'
- 9.7-million-year-old teeth discovery in Germany could re-write human history
- Charleston's International African American Museum's big plans
- What’s inside the secret JFK assassination files?
- Russian minister keeps doctorate despite plagiarism claims
- Thomas Childers says we’ve got the Nazis wrong in 5 different ways
- National security expert Tom Nichols: “Hey, I’m unstable” is a bad look for the president
- Fake news? It’s nothing new, says Trinity College Dublin historian