Originally published 06/30/2015
As the debate rages over the confederate flag in parts of the South, Mayor Mitch Landrieu held a forum to talk about race relations in New Orleans and around the country.
Originally published 01/28/2015
Oral histories with responders gives us a new perspective on the disaster.
Originally published 12/10/2014
Michael Mizell-Nelson was a historian so steeped in New Orleans culture that he spent 12 years researching the origin and name of po-boy sandwiches.
Originally published 06/06/2014
New Orleans will soon be the first urban district in the nation that is all-charter, the first district where public education has been completely extinguished.
Originally published 12/30/2013
The retreat was to be held at the Nottoway Plantation and Resort, built by slave labor in 1859.
Originally published 01/22/2013
NEW ORLEANS — The “baby dolls,” an on-again, off-again Mardi Gras tradition of New Orleans’ African-American community, are on again.The troupes of women strutting and prancing in bonnets, garters, and skimpy or short, ruffled dresses on Fat Tuesday also are being spotlighted in a new book and museum exhibit that trace their history and modern rebirth.When the predominantly African-American Zulu krewe hits the streets on Fat Tuesday — Feb. 12 — its marchers will include the Baby Doll Ladies, a troupe formed after Hurricane Katrina. They play tambourines and cowbells to accompany their dance, a hip-hop style called bounce.Though Mardi Gras celebrations date from the city’s French founding in 1718, historians say the baby doll tradition started in 1912 when black prostitutes who worked just outside the legal red-light district called Storyville dressed up on Mardi Gras to outdo their legal rivals....
- A New Target for Old Spies: Congress
- Antigua and Barbuda Asks Harvard University for Slavery Reparations
- Historian: Nixon DID contest the 1960 election
- Killer took selfie after stabbing historian over rare ‘Wind in the Willows’ book
- VW fires corporate historian who drew attention to wartime ties to Nazis
- Historian Jeremy Kuzmarov calls on Obama to pardon Ethel Rosenberg
- Get to Know the Semifinalists for the National Book Award
- Steven Runciman — historian, tease and professional enigma — is the subject of a biography
- Historian Eric Foner: Trump is Logical Conclusion of What the GOP Has Been Doing for Decades