Originally published 06/01/2016
He was Hillary, Bernie and Trump rolled into one.
Originally published 02/23/2016
Mark K. Updegrove
They say past is prologue, and the waning days of the Johnson presidency are a lesson for President Obama in his upcoming Supreme Court fight.
Originally published 12/18/2015
The president of the United States has to be a Moral-Leader-in-Chief
Originally published 09/11/2014
When Did Police Start Looking Like Soldiers in a Combat Zone? No, You're Wrong. It Wasn't in the Aftermath of Iraq.
Lyndon Johnson hitched his War on Poverty to a War on Crime that combined community outreach and “get-tough” policing.
Originally published 07/20/2014
The Gulf of Tonkin Resolution and the hubris behind it were the linchpins of Johnson’s Shakespearean Vietnam tragedy – and ours as well.
Originally published 04/09/2014
“It is all here: the story of our time — with the bark off."--LBJ
- Snopes debunks slavery Internet meme
- Revamped Chinese History Journal Welcomes Hard-Line Writers
- Poll: 3 Out of 5 Texan Trump Supporters Want Secession if Hillary Clinton Is Elected
- The Psychiatric Question: Is It Fair to Analyze Donald Trump From Afar?
- Minorities still feel Eugene, Oregon’s historical link to the Ku Klux Klan
- Ernst Nolte, Historian Whose Views on Hitler Caused an Uproar, Dies at 93
- Japan should give formal apology for wartime aggression, says historian
- Historian Benjamin Madley says what whites did to Indians in the 19th century in California was genocide.
- Kevin Baker says America needs to bring back political machines
- Covell Meyskens uses his blog to show what life was like under Mao. (Interview)