SOURCE: The Nation
December 1, 2019
Michael Kazin Reviews Eric Foner's Latest Book, The Second Founding
by Michael Kazin
Eric Foner’s story of American freedom, The Second Founding, sheds new light on how the Civil War and Reconstruction influenced the Constitution.
Museum Relaunches Wooden Whaler Built in 1841
MYSTIC, Conn. — A national historic landmark slowly slid into the water on Sunday, to cannon fire and the cheers of thousands of spectators on land and in boats.After nearly five years, about $7 million and a painstaking restoration by more than 60 people, the Charles W. Morgan, believed to be the last surviving wooden whaling vessel in the world, was again afloat — 172 years after its construction.“Once it’s floating, it’s alive again,” said Quentin Snediker, the director of the shipyard at the Mystic Seaport museum, who was in charge of the restoration....
- House Hearings on Campus Speech Show Different Perceptions of the Problem
- Mark Russell, DC's Piano-Playing Political Satirist, Dies at 90
- Trans Texans, Fearing Violence Inspired by Legislation and Rhetoric, Look to Armed Self-Defense
- How Paris Kicked out the Cars
- Vatican Repudiates "Doctrine of Discovery" that Justified Colonialism by Catholic Nations