Originally published 07/21/2013
Once the dynamic heart of automotive America, the city of Detroit took the humbling step of filing for bankruptcy on Thursday – the largest U.S. municipality ever to do so. On Friday, Michigan Governor Rick Snyder defended his decision to authorize the bankruptcy filing....The Globe’s Joanna Slater spoke with Thomas Sugrue, a historian at the University of Pennsylvania and the author of The Origins of the Urban Crisis: Race and Inequality in Postwar Detroit, an award-winning social history of the once-proud city, about its long decline....What are the most important factors that contributed to Detroit’s current mess?
- A Trump book riddled with falsehoods will no longer be sold by the National History Museum
- 'America First,' a phrase with a loaded anti-Semitic and isolationist history
- These presidents all said they were going to change America. How’d that work out?
- Presidents Have Less Power Over the Economy Than You Might Think
- Harry Middleton, who led LBJ library and released presidential tapes, dies at 95