Originally published 06/24/2014
The House of One, as it is being called, will be a synagogue, a church and a mosque under one roof.
Originally published 04/01/2013
DAMASCUS, Syria — A Jewish synagogue in Damascus believed to be thousands of years old has been damaged and looted as clashes have consumed the surrounding neighborhood, a Syrian official and an anti-government activist said Monday.Damage to the Jobar Synagogue, which tradition holds was built by the biblical prophet Elisha, is the latest example of Syria’s rich cultural heritage falling victim to the civil war between President Bashar Assad’s regime and rebels seeking his ouster.Syria is home to thousands of years of civilizations at the crossroads of the Levant and boasts important cultural sites dating back to the Bible, the ancient Roman empire, the Crusaders and the arrival of Islam....
- JFK's diary reveals fascination with Hitler, compared to 'legend'
- Secret South Korean Nuclear Weapons Program Created Anxiety in Washington in Mid-1970s
- The President Is Under FBI Investigation. Is This Normal?
- President Trump Praised Both Andrew Jackson and Henry Clay
- Nativism, Violence, and the Origins of the Paranoid Style
- Douglas Brinkley says there’s a "smell of treason in the air"
- Mary Maples Dunn, Advocate of Women’s Colleges and President of Smith, Dies at 85
- Gil Troy says Jews and Israelis are the victims of a “Hate Swarm”
- Eric Foner interviews Matt Karp about his new book on slaveholders
- Are historians ignoring the history of originalism?