Originally published 06/05/2014
The Black Death led to an improvement in agricultural technology, changed the status of women, and increased wages.
Originally published 05/08/2014
The medieval Black Death led to better health for future generations, according to an analysis of skeletons in London cemeteries.
Originally published 03/31/2014
Evidence from skulls in east London shows plague had to have been airborne to spread so quickly.
Originally published 01/28/2014
New DNA sequencing shows that the Plague of Justinian was in fact the bubonic plague.
Originally published 09/06/2013
How a European labor shortage after the plague led to greater economic equality.
Originally published 03/18/2013
Workers building a new railway in London have unearthed 13 skeletons thought to be victims of the Black Death plague that swept through Europe in the 14th century, archaeologists said on Friday.The remains were dug up at Charterhouse Square in central London during excavation work for the city's £15 billion ($22.7 billion, 17.4 billion euro) Crossrail project. Archaeologists believe the site could be the location of a plague cemetery described in medieval records, where up to 50,000 victims of the Black Death were buried. The plague wiped out a third of Europe's population between 1348 and 1353. "The depth of burials, the pottery found with the skeletons and the way the skeletons have been set out all point towards this being part of the 14th century emergency burial ground," said Jay Carver, Crossrail's lead archaeologist....
Originally published 12/17/2013
Full article: http://hnn.us/article/135751
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity