Spanish Civil War
Originally published 05/07/2013
Distinguished British historian and Hispanist, biographer of Franco and specialist in Spanish history in particular the Civil War, Professor Paul Preston, heads the impressive list of names confirmed for Gibraltar’s first International Literary Festival.Also coming that weekend of the 25 - 27 October are best-selling novelist Joanne Harris, American film and television actress Stefanie Powers who many will recall from the hit US TV series Hart to Hart, journalist and TV presenter Peter Snow, and one of the world’s greatest Chinese chefs Ken Hom as well as the world authority in Indian cooking Madhur Jaffrey....
Originally published 03/17/2013
Cesare Orsenigo, Pope Pius XII's nuncio to Nazi Germany, meets with Adolf Hitler and Joachim von Ribbentrop in early 1939. Photo Credit: German Federal Archives.The announcement last Wednesday that the College of Cardinals selected Jorge Mario Bergoglio, archbishop of Buenos Aires, as the successor to Pope Benedict XVI, made headlines around the world. Most focused on the “simplicity” and “modest touch” of the new pope, who will reign as Pope Francis.But allegations that the new pope cooperated with Argentina’s military dictatorship in the 1970s, during the so-called Dirty War in which nearly 30,000 Argentineans were tortured or killed by the government, have tarnished his transition.
- Hull of Confederate Submarine H.L. Hunley Found 150 Years Later
- U.S. Textbook Skews History, Prime Minister of Japan Says
- Recalling a Film From the Liberation of the Camps
- Skull Fossil Offers New Clues on Human Journey From Africa
- Are crude conspiracies right? Research shows nations really do go to war over oil
- Columbia University professors Eric Foner, Alan Brinkley, and Alice Kessler-Harris to retire
- A powerhouse appropriations subcommittee is now headed by a historian: Republican Rep. Tom Cole (OK)
- Slavic scholars divided over a scholarship sponsored (and withdrawn) by Stephen F. Cohen
- Claire Strom to Step Down as Editor of Agricultural History