Spanish Civil War
Originally published 05/07/2013
Distinguished British historian and Hispanist, biographer of Franco and specialist in Spanish history in particular the Civil War, Professor Paul Preston, heads the impressive list of names confirmed for Gibraltar’s first International Literary Festival.Also coming that weekend of the 25 - 27 October are best-selling novelist Joanne Harris, American film and television actress Stefanie Powers who many will recall from the hit US TV series Hart to Hart, journalist and TV presenter Peter Snow, and one of the world’s greatest Chinese chefs Ken Hom as well as the world authority in Indian cooking Madhur Jaffrey....
Originally published 03/17/2013
Cesare Orsenigo, Pope Pius XII's nuncio to Nazi Germany, meets with Adolf Hitler and Joachim von Ribbentrop in early 1939. Photo Credit: German Federal Archives.The announcement last Wednesday that the College of Cardinals selected Jorge Mario Bergoglio, archbishop of Buenos Aires, as the successor to Pope Benedict XVI, made headlines around the world. Most focused on the “simplicity” and “modest touch” of the new pope, who will reign as Pope Francis.But allegations that the new pope cooperated with Argentina’s military dictatorship in the 1970s, during the so-called Dirty War in which nearly 30,000 Argentineans were tortured or killed by the government, have tarnished his transition.
- Priests race to save manuscripts from jihadists in Iraq
- Where Mud Is Archaeological Gold, Russian History Grew on Trees
- Conflict Uncovers a Ukrainian Identity Crisis Over Deep Russian Roots
- Heirs Claim Bank Made Off with Nazi-Looted Art
- Stanley Kutler’s book on Nixon Watergate abuses has been turned into a show on the web
- China bans books by pro-Hong Kong historian who retired from Princeton
- George Mason's digital history program is 20 years old -- and celebrating