Originally published 11/19/2014
Turns annual extremist march into a fundraiser for a very good cause
Originally published 03/21/2013
BERLIN — Chancellor Angela Merkel’s center-right government said Wednesday that it would not try to ban a far-right political party deemed “racist, anti-Semitic and revisionist” by domestic intelligence, choosing instead to focus on combating neo-Nazi extremism through other channels.The decision comes as Germany’s main political camps stake out their positions ahead of a general election in September, in which Ms. Merkel is seeking a third term in office. The chancellor’s main rivals, the center-left Social Democrats and the Greens, who control the upper house of Parliament, announced in December that they would seek to have the far-right National Democratic Party, or N.P.D., banned on grounds that it violated the Constitution.
Originally published 02/22/2013
Thousands of anti-fascist protesters blocked a neo-Nazi march in Dresden, Germany, on Wednesday night, on the 68th anniversary of the British and American air campaign that killed an estimated 25,000 people in 37 hours of bombing.In recent years, the German broadcaster Deutsche Welle reports, anti-fascist activists “have outnumbered neo-Nazis who previously had used Dresden’s bombing anniversary to stage large ‘funeral’ marches to recall the demise of Hitler’s Third Reich.” On Wednesday, about 800 neo-Nazis were prevented from marching by thousands of police officers and counter-demonstrators, as more than 10,000 anti-fascist protesters formed a human chain in the city....
- How will Trump’s inaugural address compare with others?
- UK Government's 'Monstrous' Stonehenge Tunnel Plan Green-Lit
- Anti-Defamation League Condemns Donald Trump’s ‘Nazi Germany’ Tweet
- President Obama Designates First National Monument Dedicated to Reconstruction
- Jared Kushner Wouldn't Be the First Powerful Son-in-Law in Presidential History
- Tim Naftali calls on Obama to declassify US intelligence community's assessment of Russian intentions and activities in the 2016 presidential election
- David Olusoga says Britain’s black history has been shamefully whitewashed
- Conflicting Signals in the Academic Job Market for History
- Max Boot says a 9-11 style commission should investigate Trump-Russian ties
- Why Did Japan Treat Jews Differently During World War II?