SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
Celebs Using TR's Quote are Missing the Point
by Michael Patrick Cullinane
Like so much of the past, Roosevelt's "Man in the Arena" speech has been hijacked by the cult of individualism. Its real message, about our collective obligations to work for democracy, need to be brought back to light.
Politicians Quote Abraham Lincoln a Lot. Historians Say They Don't Always Do His Words Justice
by Olivia B. Waxman
Kate Masur, Eric Foner, Manisha Sinha, Nina Silber and Thavolia Glymph describe the selective and deceptive quotings of Lincoln that have sprung up in this political climate and suggest some futher reading.
- O'Mara: Politics and Commercial Pressure, not ChatGPT, are the Threats
- Why are the Dems Denying DC Self-Government?
- Anastasia Curwood on Shirley Chisholm's Childhood Heroes
- After Studying Housing Discrimination, This Historian is Fighting it in Court
- How Textbook Publishers are Censoring the Story of Rosa Parks to Sell Books in Florida