SOURCE: The Atlantic
"Negotiated Authenticity" and the Precarious Position of Black Creators in Television History
"Since its invention, television has shaped this country’s self-image. To the extent that we share notions of “normal,” “acceptable,” “funny,” “wrong,” and even “American,” television has helped define them. For decades, Black writers were shut out of the rooms in which those notions were scripted."
SOURCE: Made By History at the Washington Post
Another 9/11 Legacy? The Spread of Conspiracy Theories Online
by Jeff Melnick
9/11 happened as traditional American media outlets were being consolidated into a small number of corporate networks, encouraging people seeking information to turn to decentralized sources and, eventually, social media, opening space for misinformation and conspiracy theories.
"Elvis In The Box": The National Enquirer Issue that Made Today's Celebrity Culture
by Michael Nelson
As fans mourned Elvis at Graceland, the National Enquirer came to Memphis and got the coffin shot that sold 6.7 million copies.
SOURCE: The Conversation
The Battle Between NBC and CBS To Be the First To Film a Berlin Wall Tunnel Escape
by Mike Conway
In the summer of 1962, the two networks were at work on two separate, secret documentaries on tunnels being dug under the Berlin Wall.
SOURCE: NY Times
The Chicago Defender, Legendary Black Newspaper, Prints Last Copy
For generations of black Americans, The Defender, influential and tough, was a force: “You knew it didn’t happen if it wasn’t in The Defender.”
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of