Cold War history
SOURCE: The Atlantic
China Isn’t the Soviet Union. Confusing the Two Is Dangerous.
by Melvyn P. Leffler
An unusual confluence of events World War II led to America’s bitter rivalry with the U.S.S.R. That pattern is not repeating.
The History Briefing on the 30th Anniversary of the Fall of the Berlin Wall
by Andrew Fletcher
The collaspe of the Berlin Wall had both historical as well as cultural significance, which we should remember on its anniversary.
Betrayal in Berlin: Soviet Disinformation and the Berlin Crisis
by Steve Vogel
While Russian bots and fake Facebook accounts are relatively new, efforts to undercut Western values and democracy and sow division among allies have long been part of the playbook for Russian and Soviet intelligence.
American Billionaires' Ties to Moscow Go Back Decades
by Harvey Klehr
Former Fairbanks Whitney CEO David Karr continued the connection between American businessman and Russia throughout the twentieth century.
SOURCE: New York Times
A Monster to History, Stalin Is a Tourist Magnet in His Hometown
Stalin inspires deep emotions in the country where he spent his earliest years, and one of them is reverence.
CSIS destroyed secret file on Pierre Trudeau, stunning historians
Documents fell short of the legal threshold for retention
- The Debt Ceiling Law is now a Tool of Partisan Political Power; Abolish It
- Amitai Etzioni, Theorist of Communitarianism, Dies at 94
- Kagan, Sotomayor Join SCOTUS Cons in Sticking it to Unions
- New Evidence: Rehnquist Pretty Much OK with Plessy v. Ferguson
- Ohio Unions Link Academic Freedom and the Freedom to Strike
- First Round of Obama Administration Oral Histories Focus on Political Fault Lines and Policy Tradeoffs
- The Tulsa Race Massacre was an Attack on Black People; Rebuilding Policies were an Attack on Black Wealth
- British Universities are Researching Ties to Slavery. Conservative Alumni Say "Enough"
- Martha Hodes Reconstructs Her Memory of a 1970 Hijacking
- Jeremi Suri: Texas Higher Ed Conflict "Doesn't Have to Be This Way"
- New transcript of Ayn Rand at West Point in 1974 shows she claimed “savage" Indians had no right to live here just because they were born here
- The Mexican War Suggests Ukraine May End Up Conceding Crimea. World War I Suggests the Price May Be Tragic if it Doesn't
- The Vietnam War Crimes You Never Heard Of