Originally published 08/25/2015
Now, 60 years after the tragedy, Florida State University is creating an Emmett Till Archive.
Originally published 05/19/2015
Shatterglass Films and Chaz Ebert are developing an Emmett Till movie based on the book “Death of Innocence: The Story of the Hate Crime That Changed America.”
Originally published 11/18/2014
A sycamore was planted in memory of a black teenager whose murder, nearly 60 years ago, helped spark the civil rights movement.
Originally published 07/23/2013
Beyonce has urged supporters of Trayvon Martin to be inspired by the protests that followed the death of another black teenager, Emmett Till. She is only one of a number of Americans who have drawn a parallel between the two cases - though others point out there are major differences. So who was Till?After attending an event in New York in memory of teenager Martin, who was shot dead in Florida, the pop singer wrote a message on her website."We have made so much progress and cannot allow hatred and racism to divide us," she wrote. "When we all join together, people of all races, we have the power to change the world we live in. We must fight for Trayvon the same way the generation before us fought for Emmett Till."In the summer of 1955, the 14-year-old Till was far from home when his life ended in a most violent way, apparently for whistling at a white woman....
Originally published 02/08/2013
Emmett Till was one of the 3,446 black men lynched in the United States between 1882 and 1968, but his story is not just one more statistic. How the death of a boy from Chicago galvanized the civil rights movement and changed the world.
Originally published 10/15/2008
Liberty and Power
The story stresses the possible involvement of Carolyn Bryant. She was the wife of Roy Bryant, one of the alleged killers.
- Watch every presidential debate since 1960
- Clinton-Trump Debate Expected to Be Rare Draw in a Polarized Age
- Obama hails opening of the African American Museum
- Palestinians' Abbas seeks British apology for 1917 Jewish homeland declaration
- Anger as Churchill's home turned into Hitler HQ for Transformers 5
- Karl Dietrich Bracher, German Historian of Nazi Era, Dies at 94
- Allan Lichtman predicts Trump will win
- Doris Kearns Goodwin scores an interview with Barack Obama
- Art historian Kellie Jones wins a MacArthur Foundation “Genius” grant
- Historians note that prisoners have been treated inhumanely throughout American history