SOURCE: Washington Post
With a brass band blaring, artist Kehinde Wiley goes off to war with Confederate statues
Kehinde Wiley, the man who painted the portrait of Barack Obama that now hangs in the National Portrait Gallery, unveiled his latest work, a monumentally scaled bronze equestrian statue of Confederate general J.E.B. Stuart.
SOURCE: The Conversation
A Confederate statue graveyard could help bury the Old South
by Jordan Brasher and Derek H. Alderman
If the aim of statue removal is to build a more racially just South, then, as many analysts have pointed out, putting these monuments in storage is a lost opportunity.
SOURCE: NY Times
What Should Happen to Confederate Statues? A City Auctions One for $1.4 Million
Dallas, unable to find a suitable new home for a bronze statue of Robert E. Lee on horseback that had sat in a city park until 2017, recently sent the artifact to an online auction.
Confederate Statue Vandalism Becoming More Frequent in the South
Just this week, the Confederate Defenders of Charleston monument in South Carolina was splattered with red paint, and police have already accused two people of vandalism.
Judge Rules Charlottesville’s Confederate Statues Are War Monuments
But the legal fight to remove the city’s statues of Robert E. Lee and Stonewall Jackson may not be over.
The Year It Became Embarrassing to Fly the Confederate Flag
An interview with James W. Loewen.
- Chair of Florida Charter School Board on Firing of Principal: About Policy, Not David Statue
- Graduate Student Strikes Fight Back Against Decades of Austerity, Seek to Revive Opportunity
- When Right Wingers Struggle with Defining "Woke" it Shows they Oppose Pursuing Equality
- Strangelove on the Square: Secret USAF Films Showed Airmen What to Expect if Nuclear War Broke Out
- The Women of the Montgomery Bus Boycott
- New Books Force Consideration of Reconstruction's End from Black Perspective
- Excerpt: How Apartheid South Africa Tried to Create a Libertarian Utopia
- Historian's Book on 1970s NBA Shows Racial Politics around Basketball Have Always Been Ugly
- Kendi: "Anti-woke" Part of Backlash Against Antiracist Protest Movements
- Monica Muñoz Martinez Honored for Truth-Telling in Texas History