TO PRESIDENT BUSH: DO NOT KEEP THE PALESTINIANS IN THE HOPELESS POSITION OF WELFARE MOTHERS.
Bush did an enormous favor to the Palestinians when he refused to deal with Arafat. Now he must not shower their new government with money because that would make them independent of their own people or more precisely, dependent on the wrong kind of people - bureaucrats and security forces. Indeed, the real tough negotiations with their political competitors would not be over policy but over the distribution of the foreign goodies!
I am not against helping rejuvenate the PA. The West Bank and Gaza is populated with highly educated and economically capable individuals. Seed money for business and rebuilding of infrastructure is the way to go. Let the Authority's money come from taxes, not from the outside otherwise the entire enterprise is doomed for failure AGAIN!
The PA must be dependent on the well being of the people. At least the American portion of the money should help make the PA so. I doubt the EU and their rest of the world will follow. They like that dependence and I am not sure they really want ME peace. After all, what they want is a wedge issue to use against the US.
comments powered by Disqus
- The six-day war: why Israel is still divided over its legacy 50 years on
- "Space archaeology" transforms how ancient sites are discovered
- A military cemetery whose African American history is hidden in plain sight in Philadelphia
- Texas Senate increases education board's textbook veto power
- The Secret Transcripts of the Six-Day War
- AHA joins protest of Trump’s plan for drastic cuts to the NEH
- Diane Ravitch says the Democrats paved the way for the education secretary's efforts to privatize our public schools
- Mark Moyar explains why he came to believe the Vietnam War was winnable
- How should Texas high schoolers learn history?
- What's the 'greatest witch hunt of a politician in American history’?