TO PRESIDENT BUSH: DO NOT KEEP THE PALESTINIANS IN THE HOPELESS POSITION OF WELFARE MOTHERS.
Bush did an enormous favor to the Palestinians when he refused to deal with Arafat. Now he must not shower their new government with money because that would make them independent of their own people or more precisely, dependent on the wrong kind of people - bureaucrats and security forces. Indeed, the real tough negotiations with their political competitors would not be over policy but over the distribution of the foreign goodies!
I am not against helping rejuvenate the PA. The West Bank and Gaza is populated with highly educated and economically capable individuals. Seed money for business and rebuilding of infrastructure is the way to go. Let the Authority's money come from taxes, not from the outside otherwise the entire enterprise is doomed for failure AGAIN!
The PA must be dependent on the well being of the people. At least the American portion of the money should help make the PA so. I doubt the EU and their rest of the world will follow. They like that dependence and I am not sure they really want ME peace. After all, what they want is a wedge issue to use against the US.
comments powered by Disqus
- In Trump’s America, is the Supreme Court still seen as legitimate?
- The Republican Plan to Repeal Obamacare for Everybody But Alaska Might Be Unconstitutional
- Parliament Square in London Is Closer to Having First Female Statue
- Battle Over Confederate Monuments Moves to the Cemeteries
- German WW1 U-boat found off Belgian coast
- Yale history department now emphasizing global history in undergraduate courses
- University of Utah appoints first Mormon Studies professor
- Eric Foner discusses the manipulation of history
- Male historian tapped to lead Department of Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies at the University of Kansas
- Decline in History Majors Continues, Departments Respond