Fun with Doublespeak
My suggestion? The Social Security Administration should pass off its tax on youth and employment as a" contribution," and disguise the welfare for the elderly program as a"trust fund." That way, younger workers would be tricked into thinking they're contributing to their own retirem...
comments powered by Disqus
Max Swing - 1/27/2005
Why doesn't anyone compile a compendium of such "Doublespeak" words in politics and sells it to the public?
I think there is certainly a market, because people tend to believe things from authority, especially when they don't posses the knowledge to form their own opinion. This is extremely true in regard to politics.
Everyone can distinguish that cigarettes are cigarettes and not apples or lighters. But when it comes to abstract concepts while conjuring a moral imperativ, they tend to believe it because it sounds nice and good.
They believe the concept without any factual knowledge about the topic and as long as the government has this issues in their hand, many people won't even considering getting in touch with the facts.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Humans Hard-Wired to Teach, Anthropologist Says
- Parents outraged after students shown ‘white guilt’ cartoon for Black History Month
- Maryland is once again considering retiring its state song
- One of the last remaining Nazis goes on trial in Germany
- Inside story finally told of the young US diplomat who cracked the case of the murder of 4 nuns in El Salvador in 1980
- Historian at the center of Sanders-Clinton debate
- James Loewen Says Additional Baltimore Confederate Statues Should be Removed
- NYT History Book Reviews: Who Got Noticed this Week?
- A historian’s advice to students thinking of getting a PhD in a tough economic climate
- German historian Heinz Richter cleared of charges