Liberty, Policy, and Natural Disasters
comments powered by Disqus
David Lion Salmanson - 1/31/2005
I type like that all the time. Steinberg's point is saying that shit happens encourages people to build stuff in places where shit is more likely to happen. It's used by people who want the state to pay for their high risk behavior. There is also a fundamental difference between say, building on a floodplain and building on higher ground and having the flood plain enlarge because of increased run-off due to suburban sprawl/bad land and water management practices. Steinberg's book is really sharp, and I think his work will deepen your analysis not necessarily change it.
Aeon J. Skoble - 1/26/2005
Sorry about the typos in my previous reply -- hand not healed yet.
Aeon J. Skoble - 1/26/2005
If Steinberg knows a way to prevent natural disasters, that's pretty cool. My guess is that either I'm not getting your point, or your not getting mine, whihc was just that, meterologically and geologically speaking, s**t happens. It's predicatble that earthquakes will happen more frequently along faultlines then elsewhere, but I'm not aware of a prevention mechanism.
David Lion Salmanson - 1/26/2005
I only hit page two or three when I came across the line, "since they are natural disasters, they cannot be prevented," or something similar. Ted Steinberg in "Act of God: The Unnatural History of Natural Disasters" demolished the use of this rhetoric. Worth a look since you will find much to support the rest of your argument..., and much that will challenge it as well.
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity