Quick Response to Arthur Silber
- Any argument that says all differences are due to biology is silly.
- Any argument that says that the mere existence of any biologically-based differences is grounds for simply accepting such differences as unremediable is silly.
- The evidence on the degree to which biological differences explain different social outcomes is very complex and should be interpreted judiciously.
But the bottom line is that he didn't say either of the silly things in 1 or 2.
Question: is the following argument the intellectual equivalent of creationism or intelligent design?
"There is some scientific evidence that differences in the mathematical and scientific abilities of men and women, specifically the underrepresentation of women in these areas, may be due to differences in the brain biology of men and women. We can't be sure that these differences aren't the result of culture (i.e., culture might actually cause changes in brains), but there is some evidence that these differences appear very early in life. If such differences exist, they do not justify any discrimination against individual women. In fact, such differences should lead us to look for additional ways to encourage those women who do show real potential in math and science to pursue those fields, thus treating them as individuals of ability rather than members of a group who might, on average, not do as well in these areas."
Let me note my own agnosticism on this issue, due to my own lack of reading in these areas. However, the argument I lay out above seems to me to be in the bounds of legitimate discourse.
comments powered by Disqus
Jeanine Ring - 1/26/2005
"Were they really worried that [Maggie] Gallagher would come out for free love without the cash incentive?"
* * *
I confess, I had to read this three or four times before being able to get what Msr. Marshall meant to write.
Sometimes neglecting a comma here or there can create some... ah... alternative readings.
* * *
My intellectual observation for tonight.
Jeanine Ring )(*)(
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity