IN LOD: A MOSAIC TO BEHOLD
A 17-hundred year old mosaic floor was uncovered on Wednesday in the central Israeli city of Lod, concluding a 13 year archaeological dig.
The Israeli Antiquities Authority says the mosaic, considered the largest ever to have been found in Israel, stretches over an area of approximately 180 square meters.
The 1996 discovery of the well preserved mosaic floor was directed by archaeologist Miriam Avissar.
Miriam Avissar, archaeologist from Israel Antiquities Authority, said,"The mosaic floor is about late third century and early fourth century that means late Roman. We don't know who built it, that he was a very wealthy man this is evident from the floor itself."
The mosaic depicts many colorful images of mammals, birds, fish and merchant ships.
Miriam Avissar said,"The artistic influences, they are from north Africa and from Antioch and similar pieces have been found in Sicily and it seems it was an international artist what this owner brought to adore his vila.
It is going to get a careful face lift. Part of it will be exhibited at the Met in 2010. Then, back home. Enjoy -
comments powered by Disqus
- Rubio Surges Into Second In New Hampshire
- Branstad Says Cruz Ran ‘Unethical’ Campaign
- Christie Highlights Santorum’s Endorsement of Rubio
- Portman Comes Out Against Trade Deal
- Megyn Kelly Gets a Book Deal
- A Big List of the Bad Things Clinton Has Done
- An Unambiguous Sign Sanders Won Last Night’s Debate
- Still Friends at the End
- Quote of the Day
- Trump Still Leads as Clinton Slips
- Clinton Can’t Shake Image as Wall Street’s Friend
- Maddow Doesn’t See Sanders Winning
- Why Does the Media Still Shield Chelsea Clinton?
- Bush Jokes His Mother May Have Abused Him
- Rubio Closes the Gap in New Hampshire
- Transcribed Document: Soviet Politburo Discussed CIA Billion Dollar Spy Adolf Tolkachev
- Pentagon withholds Iraq War photos showing detainee abuse
- These Rebels Have Amassed A Library From Syria’s Ruins
- Was 1916 fire at Canadian Parliament set by German saboteur?
- United Nations Calls On U.S. To Pay African Americans Reparations For Slavery
- Juan Cole says America’s inclination to turn to the military started with Manifest Destiny
- History Jobs Drop
- Paul Krugman gives credence to Robert J. Gordon's pessimism about American economic growth
- Harvard President Drew Faust Condemns Free Tuition Proposal from Outsider Overseers Ticket
- Andrew Roberts says Trump is the Mussolini of America with double the vulgarity