Cliopatriarchs at the AHA
From left to right: Greg Robinson, Ralph Luker, Tim Burke, Jonathan Dresner. Picture by Rick Shenkman.
comments powered by Disqus
C. H.L. George - 1/10/2005
Do you think it says something about their desire to assert their masculinity?
Sharon Howard - 1/10/2005
Several male academic historians who've played key roles in my career to date give the impression of hair inexorably migrating from top of head to bottom of face. But to the extent that they have head hair, yes it is brown... And one has a splendid goatee, entirely appropriate for a historian of the 17th century (as well as for contemplative stroking).
BTW, At the British political blog The Virtual Stoa, Chris Brooke is pondering the politics of facial hair and wondering if it's really true that there were no beards at all in the Cabinet between 1931 and 1997. (Since when there have been several - most of whom seem to have been sacked or resigned quite spectacularly, a bit of a setback for the Conspiracy. Maybe academia is still the only real refuge of the beardie, so we'll be safe for a while yet...)
Julie A Hofmann - 1/9/2005
Yep --- it appears that brown hair and beard (mostly goatees) is a uniform of sorts for about 60% of the male conference attendees. Is this an academic thing, or a history thing, do you think?
Jonathan Dresner - 1/9/2005
As we say at the ClioSeder, Next Year in Philadelphia!
Robert KC Johnson - 1/9/2005
Ditto to Manan's comment!
Manan Ahmed - 1/9/2005
now, i wish i had been there. if only to provide the clean-shaven corrective.
Jonathan Dresner - 1/9/2005
Yes, all the time we save shaving goes into our efforts toward world domination.
Sharon Howard - 1/9/2005
But what about the Men With Facial Hair Conspiracy?
Brian Ulrich - 1/9/2005
I am no longer frightened of the Cliopatriarch conspiracy.
mark safranski - 1/9/2005
" EATTIE SH"
I always suspected that the AHA was some kind of obscure front group for bearded men but I never imagined that they had their own secret language as well....
C. H.L. George - 1/9/2005
None of you look at all like I'd imagined.
- The Dark and Divisive History of America’s Thanksgiving Hymn
- In America, there was a time when even 'Thanksgiving' was a fightin' word
- Was Walt Whitman 'gay'?
- Victims of Canada’s ‘Gay Purge’ to Get Apology from Trudeau
- Should Trump Be Impeached? What Founding Father James Madison Gave as Grounds for Impeachment.
- Is This Professor ‘Putin’s American Apologist’?
- Vietnam veterans challenge Ken Burns on the accuracy of his epic documentary
- OAH historians say events of the past year show they were right to emphasize freedom as the theme of the 2019 annual convention
- Why being a historian is about so much more than producing displays for museums
- Historian Says Textbooks Have Shaped Our Attitudes On Race